Website Terms & Conditions
Matter of Stuff Terms of website use
Other applicable terms
- Our Acceptable Use Policy, which sets out the permitted uses and prohibited uses of our site. When using our site, you must comply with this Acceptable Use Policy.
If you purchase goods from our site, our Terms and conditions of sale will apply to the sales.
Information about us
matterofstuff.com is a site operated by Matter of Stuff Limited (“We”). We are registered in England and Wales under company number 08878002 and have our registered office at Flat 8, 241-243 Hackney Road, London, E2 8NA . You can contact us at email@example.com.
Changes to these terms
Please check this page from time to time to take notice of any changes we made, as they are binding on you.
Changes to our site
We may update our site from time to time, and may change the content at any time. However, please note that any of the content on our site may be out of date at any given time, and we are under no obligation to update it.
We do not guarantee that our site, or any content on it, will be free from errors or omissions.
Accessing our site
Our site is made available free of charge.
We do not guarantee that our site, or any content on it, will always be available or be uninterrupted. Access to our site is permitted on a temporary basis. We may suspend, withdraw, discontinue or change all or any part of our site without notice. We will not be liable to you if for any reason our site is unavailable at any time or for any period.
You are responsible for making all arrangements necessary for you to have access to our site.
Your account and password
You must be 18 or over to register with our site.
If you choose, or you are provided with, a user identification code, password or any other piece of information as part of our security procedures, you must treat such information as confidential. You must not disclose it to any third party. One registration per person.
We have the right to disable any user identification code or password, and any account, at any time, in our sole discretion.
If you know or suspect that anyone other than you knows your user identification code or password, you must promptly notify us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Intellectual property rights
We are the owner or the licensee of all intellectual property rights in our site, and in the material published on it. Those works are protected by copyright laws and treaties around the world. All such rights are reserved.
You may print off one copy, and may download extracts, of any page(s) from our site for your personal use and you may draw the attention of others within your organisation to content posted on our site.
You must not modify the paper or digital copies of any materials you have printed off or downloaded in any way, and you must not use any illustrations, photographs, video or audio sequences or any graphics separately from any accompanying text.
Our status (and that of any identified contributors) as the authors of content on our site must always be acknowledged.
No reliance on information
The content on our site is provided for general information only. It is not intended to amount to advice on which you should rely. You must obtain professional or specialist advice before taking, or refraining from, any action on the basis of the content on our site.
Although we make reasonable efforts to update the information on our site, we make no representations, warranties or guarantees, whether express or implied, that the content on our site is accurate, complete or up-to-date.
Limitation of our liability
To the extent permitted by law, we exclude all conditions, warranties, representations or other terms which may apply to our site or any content on it, whether express or implied.
We will not be liable to any user for any loss or damage, whether in contract, tort (including negligence), breach of statutory duty, or otherwise, even if foreseeable, arising under or in connection with:
- use of, or inability to use, our site; or
- use of or reliance on any content displayed on our site.
If you are a business user, please note that in particular, we will not be liable for:
- loss of profits, sales, business, or revenue;
- business interruption;
- loss of anticipated savings;
- loss of business opportunity, goodwill or reputation; or
- any indirect or consequential loss or damage.
If you are a consumer user, please note that we only provide our site for domestic and private use. You agree not to use our site for any commercial or business purposes, and we have no liability to you for any loss of profit, loss of business, business interruption, or loss of business opportunity. We will not be liable for any loss or damage caused by a virus, distributed denial-of-service attack, or other technologically harmful material that may infect your computer equipment, computer programs, data or other proprietary material due to your use of our site or to your downloading of any content on it, or on any website linked to it.
We assume no responsibility for the content of websites linked on our site. Such links should not be interpreted as endorsement by us of those linked websites. We will not be liable for any loss or damage that may arise from your use of them.
Different limitations and exclusions of liability will apply to liability arising as a result of the supply of any goods by use to you, which will be set out in our Terms and conditions of sale.
Uploading content to our site
Whenever you make use of a feature that allows you to upload content to our site, such as the mood board feature, or to make contact with other users of our site, you must comply with the content standards set out in our Acceptable Use Policy.
You warrant that any such contribution does comply with those standards, and you will be liable to us and indemnify us for any breach of that warranty. If you are a consumer user, this means you will be responsible for any loss or damage we suffer as a result of your breach of warranty.
Any content you upload to our site will be considered non-confidential and non-proprietary. We shall only use, copy, distribute and disclose such content to third parties as necessary to fulfil our obligations to you.
We also have the right to disclose your identity to any third party who is claiming that any content posted or uploaded by you to our site constitutes a violation of their intellectual property rights, or of their right to privacy.
We will not be responsible, or liable to any third party, for the content or accuracy of any content posted by you or any other user of our site. We have the right to remove any posting you make on our site if, in our opinion, your post does not comply with the content standards set out in our Acceptable Use Policy
The views expressed by other users on our site do not represent our views or values.
We do not guarantee that our site will be secure or free from bugs or viruses.
You are responsible for configuring your information technology, computer programmes and platform in order to access our site. You should use your own virus protection software.
You must not misuse our site by knowingly introducing viruses, trojans, worms, logic bombs or other material which is malicious or technologically harmful. You must not attempt to gain unauthorised access to our site, the server on which our site is stored or any server, computer or database connected to our site. You must not attack our site via a denial-of-service attack or a distributed denial-of service attack. By breaching this provision, you would commit a criminal offence under the Computer Misuse Act 1990. We will report any such breach to the relevant law enforcement authorities and we will co-operate with those authorities by disclosing your identity to them. In the event of such a breach, your right to use our site will cease immediately.
Linking to our site
You may link to our home page, provided you do so in a way that is fair and legal and does not damage our reputation or take advantage of it. You must not establish a link in such a way as to suggest any form of association, approval or endorsement on our part where none exists.
You must not establish a link to our site in any website that is not owned by you.
Our site must not be framed on any other site, nor may you create a link to any part of our site other than the home page.
We reserve the right to withdraw linking permission without notice.
If you wish to make any use of content on our site other than that set out above, please contact email@example.com.
Third party links and resources in our site
Where our site contains links to other sites and resources provided by third parties, these links are provided for your information only.
We have no control over the contents of those sites or resources.
“Matter of Stuff” is a trade mark of Matter of Stuff Limited.
These website terms and conditions were last updated on January 2020.
Matter of Stuff Terms of Sale
These Terms apply to:
- where we are acting as an agent on behalf of a Supplier for the sale of their Products, any contract between you and the relevant Supplier on our site; or
- where we are acting as a reseller for a Supplier’s Products, any contract between you and us for the sale of Products to you,
(in each case, a Contract).
Please read these Terms carefully and make sure that you understand them, before ordering any Products from us. Please note that before placing an order you will be asked to agree to these Terms. If you refuse to accept these Terms, you will not be able to order any Products from us. We amend these Terms from time to time as set out in clause 8. Every time you wish to order Products, please check these Terms to ensure you understand the terms which will apply at that time.
These Terms, and any Contract between us, are only in the English language.
- INFORMATION ABOUT US
- We operate the website matterofstuff.com. We are Matter of Stuff Limited, a company registered in England and Wales under company number 08878002 and with our registered office at Flat 8, 241-243 Hackney Road, London, E2 8NA.
- To contact us, please see our Contact Us page click here.
- THE PRODUCTS
- The images of the Products on our site, or as otherwise supplied to you, are for illustrative purposes only. Although we have made every effort to display the colours accurately, we cannot guarantee that your computer’s display of the colours accurately reflect the colour of the Products. Your Products may vary slightly from those images.
- Although we have made every effort to be as accurate as possible and particularly where the Products are handmade, all sizes, weights, capacities, dimensions and measurements indicated on our site have a 2% tolerance.
- The packaging of the Products may vary from that shown on images on our site.
- All Products are subject to availability.
- USE OF OUR SITE
Your use of our site is governed by our Terms of website use.
- HOW WE USE YOUR PERSONAL INFORMATION
- IF YOU ARE A CONSUMER
This clause 5 only applies if you are a consumer.
- If you are a consumer, you may only purchase Products from our site if you are at least 18 years old.
- As a consumer, you have legal rights in relation to Products that are faulty or not as described. Nothing in these Terms will affect these legal rights.
- IF YOU ARE A BUSINESS CUSTOMER
This clause 6 only applies if you are a business.
- If you are not a consumer, you confirm that you have authority to bind any business on whose behalf you use our site to purchase Products.
- These Terms and any document expressly referred to in them constitute the entire agreement between you and us and supersedes and extinguishes all previous agreements, promises, assurances, warranties, representations and understandings between us, whether written or oral, relating to its subject matter.
- You acknowledge that in entering into this Contract you do not rely on any statement, representation, assurance or warranty (whether made innocently or negligently) that is not set out in these Terms or any document expressly referred to in them.
- You and we agree that neither of us shall have any claim for innocent or negligent misrepresentation or negligent misstatement based on any statement in this Contract.
- HOW THE CONTRACT IS FORMED
- For the steps you need to take to place an order on our site, please see our contact page.
- Our order process allows you to check and amend any errors before submitting your order to us, as well as to request a Bespoke Product. Please take the time to read and check your order at each page of the order process.
- After you place an order, or request a Bespoke Product, you will receive an e-mail from us acknowledging that we have received your order. However, please note that this does not mean that your order has been accepted. Our acceptance of your order will take place as described in clause 7.4.
- We sell Products on our site from numerous Suppliers. Once you have placed your order for a Listed Product with us, we will confirm availability with the Supplier. For Bespoke Products, we will together agree on the specifications and timescale for delivery with the Supplier. Once the Supplier has confirmed availability (for Listed Products) or agreed on a Bespoke Product, we will place the order with them. We will then simultaneously confirm acceptance of your order to you by sending you an e-mail (Acceptance Confirmation). The Contract between us (or you and the Supplier where we are acting as agent) will only be formed when we send you the Acceptance Confirmation. We will also send you an email when the Product has been dispatched.
- If a Supplier is unable to supply us with a Product, for example because that Product is not in stock or no longer available or because of an error in the price on our site as referred to in clause 12.5, we will inform you of this by e-mail and we will not process your order. If you have already paid for the Products, we will refund you the full amount as soon as possible.
- OUR RIGHT TO VARY THESE TERMS
- We may revise these Terms from time to time.
- Every time you order Products from our site, the Terms in force at that time will apply to the Contract between you and the relevant Supplier (where we are acting as agent) or you and us (where we are acting as reseller).
- YOUR CONSUMER RIGHT OF RETURN AND REFUND
This clause 9 only applies if you are a consumer.
- We are proud to offer a variety of Products on our site, ranging from unique and limited-edition pieces to manufactured goods, as well as items made to order though our Bespoke Product service. Please ensure that you order the right Product for your needs. If you are a consumer, you have a legal right to cancel a Contract during the period set out below in clause 9.2. This means that during the relevant period if you change your mind or for any other reason you decide you do not want to keep a Product, you can notify the Supplier of your decision to cancel the Contract and receive a refund. However, this cancellation right does not apply in the case of any Products made to your specification (such as Bespoke Products) or clearly personalised.
- You may cancel a Contract (other than for Products made to your specification or clearly personalised) at any time within 14 days of the date of the Acceptance Confirmation, which is when the Contract between you and the Seller/you and us is formed. To cancel a Contract or return a delivered Product within this period, contact us using the details in the Acceptance Confirmation.
- Following cancellation under clause 9.2, you will receive a full refund of the price you paid for the Products (subject to any reasonable deduction in relation to your use of the Product prior to return) and any applicable delivery charges you paid for. You are liable for the cost of returning the Products if you cancel under clause 9.2. The refund due to you will be processed as soon as possible and, in any case, within 14 calendar days of the day on which you gave notice of cancellation as described in clause 9.2. If you returned the Products because they were faulty or mis-described, please see clause 9.4.
- Please inspect your purchases as soon as possible on receipt, and in any event within 3 working days. If your purchase is damaged please contact us as soon as possible via email to firstname.lastname@example.org, attaching at least two photos of the damage.
- If you need to return the Products because they are faulty or mis-described, the price of the defective Product will be refunded to you in full, including any applicable delivery charges, and any reasonable costs you incur in returning the item.
- Refunds will be issued to you on the credit card, debit card, or PayPal account used by you to pay, or by direct bank transfer if you used that method.
- If the Products were delivered to you:
- you must return the Products to the Supplier as soon as reasonably practicable, adequately packed and in the original packaging. If the Products require collection, the Supplier will organise collection of the Products from the address to which they were delivered and will contact you to arrange a suitable time for collection;
- unless the Products are faulty or not as described (in this case, see clause 9.4), you will be responsible for the cost of returning the Products to the Supplier or, where relevant, the cost of us collecting the Products from you. Please contact us at email@example.com in relation to the return of any large or fragile items;
- you have a legal obligation to keep the Products in your possession and to take reasonable care of the Products while they are in your possession.
- As a consumer, you will always have legal rights in relation to Products that are faulty or not as described. These legal rights are not affected by the returns policy in this clause 9 or these Terms.
- We will use reasonable endeavours to fulfil your order by the estimated delivery date set out in the Acceptance Confirmation. If we are unable to meet the estimated delivery date, we will contact you with a revised estimated delivery date.
- Delivery will be completed when the Products are delivered to the address you gave us.
- The Products will be your responsibility from the completion of delivery.
- You own the Products once we have delivered them to you.
- Please check access to your property prior to your order; delivery is offered on the basis that you have checked the dimensions of the Product and that it fits through all doorways, stairwells and into the area of intended use or installation.
- INTERNATIONAL DELIVERY
- We deliver to the countries listed on this page [INSERT LINK TO PAGE LISTING THE COUNTRIES] (International Delivery Destinations). However there are restrictions on some Products for certain International Delivery Destinations, so please review the information on that page carefully before ordering Products.
- If you order Products from our site for delivery to one of the International Delivery Destinations, your order may be subject to import duties and taxes which are applied when the delivery reaches that destination. Please note that we have no control over these charges and we cannot predict their amount.
- You will be responsible for payment of any such import duties and taxes. Please contact your local customs office for further information before placing your order.
- You must comply with all applicable laws and regulations of the country for which the Products are destined. We will not be liable or responsible if you break any such law.
- PRICE OF PRODUCTS AND DELIVERY CHARGES
- The prices of the Products will be as quoted on our site from time to time, or as otherwise agreed between us for Bespoke Products. We take all reasonable care to ensure that the prices of Products are correct at the time when the relevant information was entered onto the system. However if we discover an error in the price of Product(s) you ordered, please see clause 12.5 for what happens in this event.
- Prices for the Products may change from time to time, but changes will not affect any order which we have confirmed with an Acceptance Confirmation.
- The price of a Product includes VAT (where applicable) at the applicable current rate chargeable in the UK for the time being. However, if the rate of VAT changes between the date of your order and the date of delivery, we will adjust the VAT you pay, unless you have already paid for the Products in full before the change in VAT takes effect.
- The price of a Product does not include delivery charges. Delivery charges will be calculated depending on the postcode to which Products are to be delivered.
- Our site contains a large number of Products. It is always possible that, despite our reasonable efforts, some of the Products on our site may be incorrectly priced. If we discover an error in the price of the Products you have ordered we will inform you of this error and we will give you the option of continuing to purchase the Product at the correct price or cancelling your order. We will not process your order until we have your instructions. If we are unable to contact you using the contact details you provided during the order process, we will treat the order as cancelled and notify you in writing. Please note that if the pricing error is obvious and unmistakeable and could have reasonably been recognised by you as a mispricing, we do not have to provide the Products to you at the incorrect (lower) price.
- How to Pay
- You can pay for Products via direct bank transfer, PayPal or by using a debit card or credit card. We accept the following cards: Paypal cards.
- Payment for the Products and all applicable delivery charges is in advance. Payment will be required at checkout.
- Our Liability
Where we act as the agent of a Supplier, we have no liability to you in relation to any Contract entered into between you and such Supplier.
- Nothing in these Terms limit or exclude our liability or that of the Suppliers for:
- death or personal injury caused by negligence;
- fraud or fraudulent misrepresentation;
- breach of the terms implied by section 12 of the Sale of Goods Act 1979 (title and quiet possession); or
- defective products under the Consumer Protection Act 1987.
- Subject to clause 0, neither we nor the Suppliers will under any circumstances whatever be liable to you, whether in contract, tort (including negligence), breach of statutory duty, or otherwise, arising under or in connection with a Contract for:
- any loss of profits, sales, business, or revenue;
- loss or corruption of data, information or software;
- loss of business opportunity;
- loss of anticipated savings;
- loss of goodwill; or
- any indirect or consequential loss.
- Subject to clause 0 and clause 14.2, our total liability to you and the total liability of the Supplier to you in respect of all other losses arising under or in connection with a Contract, whether in contract, tort (including negligence), breach of statutory duty, or otherwise, shall in no circumstances exceed the price of the relevant Products.
- Except as expressly stated in these Terms, neither we nor the Suppliers give any representation, warranties or undertakings in relation to the Products. Any representation, condition or warranty which might be implied or incorporated into these Terms by statute, common law or otherwise is excluded to the fullest extent permitted by law. In particular, we will not be responsible for ensuring that the Products are suitable for your purposes.
- Events outside a Supplier's control
We will not be liable or responsible for any failure to perform, or delay in performance of, any of our obligations under a Contract that is caused by any act or event beyond our reasonable control.
- Governing Law and Jurisdiction
These Terms are governed by English law and any dispute or claim arising out of or in connection with it will be governed by English law. The courts of England and Wales will have non-exclusive jurisdiction.
These terms and conditions of sale were last updated on January 2020.
Matter of Stuff Limited is committed to ensuring that your privacy is protected. Should we ask you to provide certain information by which you can be identified when using this website, then you can be assured that it will only be used in accordance with this privacy statement.
Matter of Stuff Limited may change this policy from time to time by updating this page. You should check this page from time to time to ensure that you are happy with any changes. This policy is effective from January 2020.
About us and how to contact us
We, Matter of Stuff Limited, are a private limited company, registered in England and Wales with registered company number 08878002.
If you need to contact us about the contents of this notice, or to exercise any of your rights in relation to your personal data, you can contact us using the below details:
Address: Flat 8, 241-243 Hackney Road, E28NA, London, UK
What information we collect about you
We may collect, use, store and transfer different kinds of personal data about you (depending on the circumstances). We have grouped together these types of personal information as follows:
- Identity and contact data: including your name, address, email address and job title;
- Account data: if you register for an account with us and make use of certain features on our website, such as our mood board, we will collect information that you upload or post to this account;
- Newsletter and marketing preferences: we will receive details of your newsletter and marketing preferences if you sign up to receive any newsletters or marketing via the website;
- Any other personal information that you provide to us: This may include, for example, any information you include in correspondence with us, or information that we gather when you attend one of our events or respond to a survey of promotion, such as your preferences and interests.
What we do with the information we gather
We require this information to understand your needs and provide you with a better service, and in particular for the following reasons:
- To provide you with our services: we will use the details you provide us in order to arrange and carry out any services for you, for example, to fulfil any orders you place or to arrange for you to attend one of our events;
- To register your account: if you are provided with an account to access the website or use certain features on our website such as our mood board, we will use the details provided on your account registration form to create and maintain an account;
- To send you news and marketing updates: We may periodically send promotional emails about new products, special offers or other information which we think you may find interesting using the email address which you have provided. These promotional emails might be generic or sent to you in particular based on information we have gathered from your use of features on our website, such as the mood board functionality. We will also send you information about our news and events;
- To provide access to our website: we may use your information in order to provide users with access to our website in a manner convenient and optimal. This may involve sharing information with our website hosts and developers, and IT support providers. We may also use your details to deal with enquiries or complaints about the website;
- To conduct research and analytics: we may use data analytics to carry out aggregated and anonymised research about general engagement with our website in order to improve our website, marketing, products and services, and user relationships and experiences. From time to time, we may also contact you for market research purposes so that we can customize the website according to your interests;
- Compliance with policies, procedures and laws: we may use your personal information to enable us to comply with our policies and procedures and enforce our legal rights, or to protect the rights, property or safety of others, and share your information with our technical and legal advisors; and
Lawful grounds for processing personal information
We will use your personal information for the purposes listed above on the basis of:
- performance of your contract with us;
- your consent (where we request it);
- where we need to comply with a legal or regulatory obligation; or
- our legitimate interests. Where we use your information on the basis of our legitimate interests, we make sure that we take into account any potential impact that such use may have on you. Our legitimate interests don’t automatically override yours and we won’t use your information if we believe your interests should override ours unless we have other grounds to do so (such as your consent or a legal obligation). If you have any concerns about our processing please refer to the section titled ‘Your rights below.
Who we may share your information with
In connection with the purposes and on the lawful grounds described above, and in addition to the recipients of your information as described above, we may share your personal information when relevant with third parties such as:
- Marketing parties: any named or defined third party that you consent to our sharing your information with for marketing purposes;
- Our service providers: service providers we work with to manage our website or to provide you with a product or service, such as our suppliers and contractors;
- Regulators and governmental bodies: tax authorities, regulators, governmental bodies and other authorities acting as processors or joint controllers who require reporting of processing activities in certain circumstances; and
- Other third parties: any other third parties (including legal or other advisors, regulatory authorities, courts, law enforcement agencies and government agencies) where necessary to enable us to enforce our legal rights, or to protect the rights, property or safety of individuals, or where such disclosure may be permitted or required by law.
International transfers of your information
We do not routinely transfer your personal data outside of the UK or EEA. However, if we need to, for example, if we use a web service provider in the United States, we will ensure that appropriate levels of protection are afforded to your personal data by implementing one of the following data transfer solutions:
- We will transfer your personal data to countries that have been deemed to provide an adequate level of protection for personal data by the European Commission (or the UK regulators). For further details, see European Commission: Model contracts for the transfer of personal data to third countries;
- Where we use certain service providers, we may use specific contracts approved by the European Commission (or the UK regulators) which give personal data the same protection it has in Europe. For further details, see European Commission: Model contracts for the transfer of personal data to third countries; and
- Where we use providers based in the US, we may transfer data to them if they are part of the Privacy Shield which requires them to provide similar protection to personal data shared between the Europe/the UK and the US. For further details, see European Commission: EU-US Privacy Shield.